Translate to another language

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Dying to burst onto the music scene ... or ... hoping to scrape by ...

If you got here looking for the Siminoff Lutherie Camp photo essay just click on the 2009 entries link on the left side of this page expand the October entries and you will be jumped to that part of the web log ... or just scroll down and you'll see them ...


The whole business of trying to stain an acceptable sunburst is a bit like making chili ... you throw stuff in the pot, stir, taste, add some more stuff, stir, taste, add some more stuff to counter the last stuff you put in that turned out to be too much, stir, taste, and repeat and repeat and repeat until at some point the magic happens (at least to your satisfaction it happens) and all of a sudden you're finished ... so to speak ... at least that is the way it is for me ... I've only done a few sunburst finishes but it always seems like it's an iterative process of adding stain, removing stain, over and over again until it 'seems right' ...

So I started with the back figuring if I screwed it up completely I could always go for a black back and sides ...

From Lutherie

Once I was satisfied with the back ... I decided to go the "full monty" and plunged ahead with the rest ... the photos below are after all stain was applied and the masking tape was removed ... it is evident that I have NOT done the scraping of the binding ... that is the next step and one I do not look forward to ... BUT I can say doing at least SOME masking of the binding was a huge improvement over not doing it ... next time I will likely spend much more time on the masking step and try to get it all .. I really recommend this!!.

So without further ado ... stained and unmasked ...

From Lutherie

From Lutherie

From Lutherie

From Lutherie

This would be the "butt burst" I suppose ...

From Lutherie

Overall I'm pretty happy with the result so far ... next a lot of scraping and color touch up ... then a coat or two of shellac to seal ... and then the Tru-Oil finish process ... did I mention I hate to scrape binding!!!????

No comments:

Post a Comment