Translate to another language

Friday, July 22, 2011

"Rub a Dub Dub ..." ... or ... gettin' my shine on ...

If you got here looking for the Siminoff Lutherie Camp photo essay just click on the 2009 entries link on the left side of this page expand the October entries and you will be jumped to that part of the web log ... or just scroll down and you'll see them ...


I'm getting close to the end now ... at this rate I'm afraid lutherie as a 2nd career isn't in the cards ... completing one instrument every two years or so probably wouldn't pay the bills ...

The following photos are after the I applied 13-15 coats of Tru-Oil, allowed that to cure for 9 days and then spent a couple of hours rubbing the finish with Behlen's Deluxe compound and Ming #11 polish. What I believe this shows is that a Tru-Oil finish can definitely provide a very high gloss finish if that is what you are after. In this particular case I could have done better with the underlying wood finish but honestly when one of these things sits around the shop unfinished for over 18 months you get a few dings you simply fail to notice until it's pretty much too late. Oh well ... live and learn ...

One note here ... I should have done a step before applying dye to enhance the grain in the quilted maple ... truth be told I simply forgot until it was way too late. So ... the quilted maple grain SHOULD be a little more defined than it is ... a fault of my skipping that step not the Tru-Oil finish.





So ... the story so far ... 


... and the BACK STORY ...


Next is to install the hardware, do the set-up and see what kind of voice it has ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment